Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Many Conversations in Elrond's House

It seemed like forever until we finally found the "Hidden Valley", which is named Rivendell. I remounted my pony and rode up to the front of the line next to Gandalf.

Then he asked me,

"Do you know about this place?"

"Yes," I responded, "It's the house of Elrond, elf-lord of Rivendell, descendant of the High Elves of the East. He can read the unseen moon runes on the map and tell us about the weapons you, Thorin, and Bilbo took from the trolls' cave." Gandalf smiled with a confused look on his face. Although he didn't even know there were moon runes on the map, he knew I was right and that I was enjoying myself. And he was correct, I was pretty happy to be there with all of them. We stayed in Rivendell until midsummer's eve. And when the last day of our stay came, Bilbo and I went with Gandalf and Thorin to see Elrond. They took the map and their swords. When we went, Elrond told Thorin his sword was named Orcrist, which means Goblin-cleaver in Gondolin, the place where it was forged. He told Gandalf his sword was named Glamdring. Then he asked to see the map, then he held it up to the crescent moon in the dark night sky. Gandalf grinned at me while Elrond read the moon runes to us. 

It read,

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Thorin got really excited when he heard the news. But soon he went back to his old serious self and explained to us what Durin's Day was. Once our meeting with Elrond was over, they went to see the elves dance and sing about midsummer's eve. Elrond wanted to speak with Gandalf and I. I was very honored and a little surprised. What would Elrond, ruler of Rivendell, want to talk about with me? Of course Gandalf was there but they could talk privately. For some reason, I felt Gandalf was behind it.

I was a little nervous when we, Gandalf and I, walked through the halls of Elrond's house. It was amazing! But then Gandalf started asking questions about the books.

"I've forgotten what happens, Gandalf. It's so strange... one minute it all comes back to me and the other I haven't got a clue. But I do remember that the three last books are about Frodo and a very long, tiring journey to a far place in the East. A dark cloud covers my mind at the moment. I promise I'll inform you of any information that I recover. It seems to me that I'm the one year younger than him. But that's impossible right, Gandalf?" I asked.

"To some it can altered but to others it is too late. Fortunately for you, we can do that since you are still very young. How old are you again?" Gandalf asked.

"I think I lost count but maybe sixteen? I'm positive I'm not eighteen," I answered.

"All right, Fawnabelle. We can deal with it later, okay?" he replied. Our conversation ended when we walked into a room with some unexpected guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)