Friday, August 7, 2015

Our Arrival to Mirkwood

Beorn advised us not to take the main road to Mirkwood. He said that goblins used it to ambush people on the road and if we needed to run away from enemies, using the road would be more difficult. We rode for a long time in silence. I suppose everyone was thinking of the spooky stories of Mirkwood that Beorn told us. When the ground was flat and grassy, our horses galloped. Once we were miles from Beorn's house, shook off our gloomy attitudes, and forgot about the road ahead, we started to enjoy the ride. The dwarves went back to their old happy selves and talked and sang until we found our campground. I believe I slept the best out of the group besides Gandalf. I remember hearing tossing and turning when I did wake up every now and then. 

The next morning was bright and cheery. The air was fresh and there was thin blanket of mist hovering over the ground. But as soon as the scarlet colored sun rose in the east and the shadows were still on the ground, we started riding again. We rode for two more days and we saw nothing except trees, grass, flowers, and small groups of various animals. Sometimes I would see something big and black walking on the right or left of our little parade. I knew that I wasn't seeing things because Bilbo talked to Gandalf more than usual and tried to not let anyone hear. Gandalf got so annoyed from hearing him, he would only say: "Hush! Take no notice!" 

Finally, after our third morning of traveling, we could see Mirkwood as if it were getting ready to meet us. The earth beneath us began to slope up and up. It seemed that the closer we got, silence seemed to come over everything around us. As the hours went by, the birds sang less and we could not see any other animals. By that afternoon, we were standing in front of the old creepy forest.

"And here it is... Mirkwood. The greatest and largest forest of the Northern world. I hope you are enjoying its appearance so far. Now is the time to send these helpful ponies back to their master," Gandalf said cheerfully. And the dwarves groaned and grumbled at the thought of going inside with no means of transportation besides their own feet.

The wise wizard told the "fools" some advice,

"Beorn is nearer than you think. Mr. Baggins can testify to this, for he saw this with his own two eyes. He has been off in the distance watching us day and night. Not only to guard you, but to make sure that his precious ponies are safe and being well taken care of, which is true thanks to Fawn." I beamed with joy knowing that at least someone knew that I was doing something helpful for a change. Kili gave me a look; I think he was jealous. I don't know why but I think we had a little competition between ourselves on who did a better job and got praised the most. Thorin and the dwarves praised him while Bilbo and Gandalf praised me. I think Gandalf's praise beats all of the dwarves. Not that I wanted to win but it's true and he knew it.

Gandalf continued,

"He loves his animals like they are his children. Beorn can be friendly, but you do not know what kindness he has shown towards you all. Letting dwarves use and ride his ponies to Mirkwood! To think what would happen if you took them into the forest, I wouldn't dare." Thorin asked what Gandalf would do with his horse. Gandalf answered by saying that he would ride it back and make sure all the animals got there safely. Yes, he was departing from our company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)