Thursday, August 6, 2015

Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

We waited a few moments and suddenly a little voice said,

"And here's your burglar!" They all jumped in surprise and shock. I had no doubt in Bilbo, but obviously everyone else did. Everybody asked about where he had gone and how he escaped. He explained everything to them, except he didn't mention the Ring. Although I knew what had happened, I asked him questions too. The dwarves treated him with more respect. I suppose he had proved himself to them. 

Unfortunately, they didn't change their perspective about me. They also asked how Gandalf and I weren't captured, how he made the tower of smoke appear, and other things like that. We started to walk onward just in case the goblins came running after us. The goblins had taken our ponies so we were stuck walking. Surprisingly, the shoes that I was wearing were very comfortable. So luckily, I wasn't complaining. 

We came to a clearing with a few trees and noticed we were hungry and that there wasn't much food to go around. The moon was shining and the sky was clear. No trouble seemed to come our way tonight. But, out of nowhere, we heard a very loud howl. That howl was answered by another two howls. More and more howls answered and we heard them coming closer to where we were. 

"What are we going to do?" Bilbo panicked. 

"Into the trees!" Gandalf yelled. "And hurry!" I almost said the saying "out of the frying pan and into the fire", but I'm pretty sure it wasn't invented yet. We all climbed different trees. Fili, Kili, and I were in a tall larch tree. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin were in a humongous pine tree. Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Thorin were in another pine. Dwalin, and Balin were in a fir tree and Gandalf was in the farthest and tallest tree in the glade by himself. I kept climbing until I reached the tallest and sturdiest branch I could find. Bilbo was still not in a tree yet and kept running around trying to see if he could jump up and someone would grab him. But he had no luck. Dori had to climb down, get Bilbo up in the tree, and then climb back up again.

Finally, we were all safe, sort of. While we were in the trees, Wargs came to the clearing and had a meeting. Gandalf and I were the only ones who could understand what they were saying. I couldn't translate very well because protectors of nature only understand good creatures. But what I did understand was not very good news. The goblins were supposed to meet the Wargs and attack the villagers (and us!). Once Gandalf heard this, he grabbed a pine cone. And with his staff, he created sparks which lit the pine cone on fire. Then he threw it at the wolves to create a diversion. After he had thrown some more pine cones, the grass caught on fire. The wolves started to have sparks on their coats and they had caught fire. There was lots of yelping and running. We cheered for Gandalf for thinking of such a remarkable idea. To keep the fire going, the rest of them started to throw unlit pine cones so it could light when it hit the ground. But they had taken it too far. 

Soon, the grass was burning towards the trees where we were in! One by one, the trees in front of us were starting to catch on fire. Now, we were in deep trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)