Friday, August 7, 2015

Gandalf Returns

Bilbo and I watched the bees buzz around in front of the left wing window. I had never been there before. I guessed that Bilbo explored the front of the house all on his own. From the left wing, you could also see the front gate. 

"So you're a Junior Protector of Nature? What's that? And how did you become that? And what can you do differently than normal hobbits?" he asked.

"Well, it's a pretty long story. I don't think we have enough time. Maybe we should wait for another day," I said with a little smirk.

"No no no! Can't you just tell me the short version or something? Please tell me, Fawn. Please?" Bilbo begged with puppy eyes.

"I don't know..." I sighed.


"Please just tell me the story," he replied quickly. So, in the end, I told him the story. He was happy that it ended with his birthday party. Soon, Beorn's animals shoved us to the hall and made everyone sit down and eat dinner. We had vegetable soup; it was similar to minestrone soup but this soup had the little pieces of rabbit that was left from lunch. It was really good considering that the animals put it together. All of a sudden, the front door opened. Gandalf walked through and sat down at the table and asked for a bowl of soup from one of the animals.

"Where is Beorn? And where have you been all day?" the dwarves asked immediately. 

"No questions at the moment please! I haven't had a single bite since this morning's breakfast," Gandalf responded quickly. We all finished dinner and waited for Gandalf's tale of where he had been. 

When he had eaten to his content, he finally said to them,

"I shall answer your second question first..." But he didn't finish his sentence. He took out his pipe and started to blow smoke-rings. It nearly drove the dwarves crazy. He left them waiting for a long time. He finally answered them after about half an hour.

Gandalf explained to them,

"I have been trying to pick out bear tracks. There must have been a bears' meeting outside last night. I know for certain that Beorn didn't make all of those prints by himself. There were many sizes of prints and that is why I assumed that there was a meeting. They came from every direction. But none came from the west over the river to the mountains. In that direction, one set of footprints led."

He paused then continued again,

"I believe they were Beorn's and this is my evidence. They led to the Carrock and went into the river. It was far too deep for me to cross so I had to walk down the river until I found a spot shallow enough. Once I had waded across the river, I walked back up the river again to find the tracks. I followed the tracks to where we had our little party with the Wargs. Now that I think about it, I believe I have finally answered your first question as well." He sat for a moment in reflection. Bilbo assumed he knew what Gandalf was thinking.

Bilbo stood up and cried,

"What shall we do now? What if he leads the Wargs and goblins here to kill us all? I thought he was our friend not their friend."

"Don't be ridiculous, Mr. Baggins! Go to sleep if you are going to talk nonsense!" Gandalf yelled. He did go to bed and he did fall asleep. Now I had an excuse to leave early so I didn't have to hear their drowsy singing. It had been a very long and exhausting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)