Thursday, August 6, 2015

Beorn's House

We walked down a path towards Beorn's house. Some pretty horses came to us, inspected us, and then galloped away to tell Beorn that he had visitors. We kept walking on the path and came to Beorn's courtyard where he was standing.

"What do you want and who are you?" Beorn questioned.

"I am Gandalf," the wizard replied.

Beorn growled lowly,

"Never heard of you before. And what are these?" He stooped and looked at Bilbo and I.

"These are hobbits, this is Mr. Bilbo Baggins and Miss Fawnabelle Baggins. I don't know if you knew this but she is a Junior Protector of Nature," Gandalf answered. Bilbo looked at Gandalf with confusion; I hadn't told him the whole bird and training thing yet. I lived with him for two days and the time before that, well, it never came up.

"Is she now? Well, I'm glad someone here will have something in common with me," he said happily.

"Pleased to meet you, Beorn. You're a Protector of Nature too?" I asked as I curtsied. Bilbo bowed but came up quickly because he saw and remembered his missing buttons from his waistcoat. 

"Of course! That is precisely why I own so many animals," Beorn explained.

Gandalf talked away and tried to interest Beorn in our journey so far. Once it had caught Beorn's curiosity, he invited the three of us inside his house so he could hear the rest of the tale. When Beorn sat us down, Gandalf kept talking while Bilbo and I looked out the window pretending to listen. Every once in a while, we would chime in and give our own little side to it and Gandalf would continue again. After a few whistles by Gandalf, everyone was inside and listening to the story. They came in orderly pairs and this was the order: Thorin and Dori, Nori and Ori, Balin and Dwalin, Fili and Kili, Oin and Gloin, Bifur and Bofur, and lastly Bombur, who counted as two because as they said he was too fat to count as one. At the end of the tale, Beorn invited us to stay for dinner and rest at his house tonight and we all gladly accepted. 

After he heard the response, he clapped his huge hands together and his animals got the hall and table ready for us to eat. We did not have a fine dinner like this since Elrond's house. While we ate, Beorn told stories about Mirkwood, as well as the other spooky lands neighboring his home. All the dwarves looked to each other and shook their heads. They knew we would have to go through the terrifying places to continue towards the Lonely Mountain. When he was finished with his tales, the dwarves began to tell some of their own. It was mostly about how much gold there was in the mountain and how rich they used to be and other boring stuff similar to that. 

Meanwhile they said their own share of stories, Beorn seemed to be dozing off and nodding his head. I would have chuckled to myself but it isn't polite to laugh at how others sleep so I was stuck listening to the dwarves. Soon I noticed that Beorn wasn't in the room anymore. The dwarves kept talking and talking until they decided to sing. Oh my goodness, you couldn't believe how tiring it was to keep my eyes open! I was getting so sleepy like they were casting spells on me and it was horrible. All of a sudden, I realized they had stopped singing, which was a huge relief. I was practically half asleep. Gandalf had us go to bed after we cleaned up a little bit. He told us that if we should wake up in the middle of the night that we should not go outside until the sun was out again. Then my head hit my pillow and I fell fast asleep.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you made Beorn a junior protector like Fawnabelle. That was a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are Radagast the Brown and Ents! But they are official Protectors. There are others with the ability too but very few of them allow their true selves to be fully revealed. Yavanna was the first to be a Protector of Nature and passed on the knowledge to others by "the touch" as I call it :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)