Wednesday, September 9, 2015

We Leave Lake-town

After a fortnight since our arrival, Thorin showed some signs of wanting to depart. I thought it wise because we could get more help while the excitement still remained in the town. One day, he went to the Master and asked for help with our journey to the Mountain. I think the Master was grateful we were leaving but also a little bit worried that Thorin was telling the truth.

"Surely, Thorin son of Thror! The hour is at hand and you must go to claim your own. Whatever you need shall be granted to you and we trust your gratitude will be repaid," he said in the end. The next day, we left to the Lonely Mountain in three boats. Our horses and ponies were being taken around the lake and would meet us when we landed. Bilbo was the only one who was completely unhappy and he showed it pretty clearly. I wanted to know what was bothering him.

"Are you alright, Bilbo?" I asked.

"Yes, Fawn... I'm fine," he sighed.

"Are you sure? You can tell me," I offered.

"I miss the Shire and I want this to be over already. But then I don't want to go home. I can't seem to make up my mind. I know it doesn't make any sense," Bilbo said.

"I understand what you mean, Bilbo. I want to go home too but then I don't want to go home. It does make sense, to me at least. Whatever happens, we will still have each other, to help one another in times of need," I comforted him.

"Thank you, Fawnabelle," he smiled. But there was still a sense of sadness in his soul; I could feel it. We arrived in three days time and our steeds were waiting for us on the shore. We packed the ponies with as much as they could hold and the rest was stored in a tent. The boat rowers would not stay the night with us because they were afraid of the Lonely Mountain and the dreaded Smaug. It was easier for them to believe in the dragon than in Thorin during those times. We didn't need to guard the tent because the land surrounding us was completely empty. It was a very cold and lonely night and it went back to what we hoped not to. We became rather lonely and sadness came to us all; it was the total opposite than what they had felt in the town. The next day, we went out and tried to pick out roads to lead the ponies on. Balin and Bilbo were behind the rest of us and led another pony that had things packed onto it. I felt bad for the poor things but it could not be helped. So there we were, fifteen of us, going at a slow pace on our way to the Mountain. Our ride was a very quiet one but it fitted to the feeling around us. It was complete silence and it was starting to feel uncomfortable. We knew that this expedition was coming to an end and we were starting to think what the end would feel like. It was a hard time but I tried to make the most of it by thinking of what we had already accomplished. That "unexpected" party was so long ago but I remember it so vividly. We all had changed so much since then. I wondered how life would have been without these friends. Well of course they were my friends! Friends get on each other's nerves once in a while or all the time. But that doesn't make them any less special; it's the memories that count. The memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)