Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I Am Set Free and I Am A Barrel Rider

A week or two went by and several messages were passed through Bilbo to the other dwarves. Legolas became my regular meal passer and he came to talk to and see me everyday. We had gotten to know each other pretty well. Sometimes, he would stay a little too long and forget the other things he needed to do that day. He usually asked me questions about the Shire. He had never been out of Mirkwood before. I didn't know that would be the last day I stayed in that cell. It was after lunchtime when I heard the jingling of keys and shuffling feet. I saw them coming this way! I picked up my bag and peered through the bars. Bilbo unlocked my door and we walked to Thorin's cell. Everyone was very happy to see each other.

"I suppose Gandalf was right! You are a fine burglar, Mr. Baggins! Now what is the next step to our escape?" Thorin asked. Bilbo explained his plan and the dwarves complained.

"We thought you had a well-thought out plan, not a float on the river! We will drown in those barrels! Even if we do come out alive in the end, we will be in poor shape to climb the Lonely Mountain," they said. Bilbo was very sad and disappointed as well as annoyed with the dwarves.

"I think it's a marvelous idea! Unless, you dwarves have a better plan... well? Do you?" I asked. They looked to each other and sighed. Bilbo led us all to the lowest cellars and showed us to the barrels. There were only fourteen... I guessed that Bilbo hadn't counted when he first thought out his plan. He put the heaviest dwarves on the bottom first and one by one they were all in barrels. Some elves were coming down the stairs so I hurried into a barrel and he put the lid on tight. He slipped on his ring and they started to roll us out to the river. One by one, we all splashed into the icy cold water. Luckily, Bilbo was very careful with putting my lid on and not a single drop came in. Although we were in the barrels for two days, I was rather comfortable and slept pretty much the whole time although I had a little taste of motion sickness. When I woke up, I was very hungry. I heard a loud knock on my barrel and Bilbo called to see if there was anyone in there.

"Hello? I'm in here!" I answered. Bilbo rolled me to shore and opened my lid. I shivered; the breeze was freezing. Thorin was in the water looking for more dwarves. Bilbo helped me out of the barrel.

"Bilbo! You're all wet! What happened?" I asked.

He answered me with a congested voice, 

"There were not enough barrels. So I slipped on my ring and grabbed hold of a barrel when I fell in the river and... ACHOO! Excuse me, please. I seem to be catching a cold."

"I'm sorry, Bilbo," I replied. He motioned to me for us to help Thorin with the barrels. I nodded and we walked over. I stayed on shore opening lids while they talked to the barrels. They managed to find six dwarves when they called to them. Dwalin and Balin were the most unhappy and didn't help us. Bifur and Bofur threw themselves on the shore and didn't help either. Fili and Kili had the least amount of damage and wetness. They came out with more or less a smile and helped us out. With their help, we found the others a lot sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)