Wednesday, September 9, 2015

We Arrive in Laketown (or Esgaroth)

We walked along the shore that we landed and across an old, broad bridge. We could see guards in a hut at the front of the town but they did not notice us coming towards them. They were full of astonishment when Thorin walked through the door of their hut.

"What do you want and who are you?" they asked, grabbing a weapon and jumping to their feet.

"I am Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror King under the Mountain!" he declared in a loud voice. He looked like it except the wet, dirty clothes. But the gold he wore on his neck and waist shined with brilliance.

"I have returned and I wish to see your Master!" The captain of the guard approached Thorin.

"And who are these?" he asked, referring to the rest of us.

"These are the son's of my father's daughter, Fili and Kili of the race of Durin. And this is Mr. Baggins and his niece, Fawnabelle Baggins who have journeyed with us out of the West." Thorin answered.

"If you come in peace, lie down your arms!" the captain commanded. Thorin looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

"We have none," he replied.

"You have none? Then what does the lass have in her quiver, eh?" he laughed. 

"It's empty," I said as I took it off and showed him my quiver. He looked at it like he didn't believe what he saw and to be honest, I didn't either! Gandalf said it would refill itself but not empty itself.

"Alright, follow me please," the captain said. The five of us started to walk behind the captain.

"How did you do that? The last time I saw it, it was full!" Bilbo whispered.

"I have no idea!" I whispered excitedly. We made it to the banquet hall rather quickly.
Thorin shoved the door open and introduced himself to everyone who was present. 

"I am Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, King Under the Mountain! I have returned!" he shouted in a fierce voice. The captain was a little upset but Thorin didn't care. After he introduced himself, everyone that was dining stood up quickly. They were all very surprised; but none were as surprised as the raft-men of the elves. They recognized us and they walked to the Master's table. 

"These were the prisoners of our king, who have escaped. These dwarves did not give an answer to our king's questions about their doings in our country. And they disturbed our people's merrymaking while they were feasting in the forest," they complained to the Master. 

"Do these elves speak the truth about you?" the Master asked. 

"We have been wrongly judged by the elves and their king. But we did escape the prisons yet neither lock or bar can keep legend from becoming true. I want to speak to the Master of the town, not the raft-men of the Elvenking," Thorin explained. The Master of Laketown was starting to get worried, for King Thranduil was their biggest supporter and buyer. Much of the Lakemen's money they earned came from the elves' needs. They had a very good business going and the Master did not want to stop it because of a handful of dwarves. Alas, he had no other choice but to accept Thorin even if he was telling the truth or not; for news had reached the town quicker than lightning. The townspeople began to sing songs of old about the King returning and the prophecy that was made many years before. The Master decided to at least pretend that he believed and gave up his own chair at the table. Thorin sat at the start with Fili and Kili on his right and left; even Bilbo and I were given high seats at the table. The other dwarves soon came and they were taken care of, fed, as well as pampered in the most excessive way. I thought it a little too much but we got everything we needed to depart. The dwarves became fat again and Bilbo was also getting a little plump in the stomach. They gave us a house to stay in and it was rather comfortable. But I had to find someplace to get away from all the dwarves. It had been a long time since Bilbo and I had some alone time. Three days out of the week, I journeyed the town all day either alone or with Bilbo and returned to our quarters to eat meals. But sometimes, they would not let Bilbo leave because he was still getting rid of his cold. His cold was getting better, but it's different than the Shire. The Shire... how I missed it. I used to climb to the roof at night, stare at the sky, and dream of the Shire. Its sunny mornings, fresh scents, and quiet nights kept me anxious to finish the adventure. But lots of questions made me want this adventure to NEVER end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)