Thursday, September 3, 2015

I Kill A Spider

I sat down and thought about what I should do.

"Where could they have gone? Where are we in the book? I can't think and it's driving me crazy! Oh, what should I do?" I thought to myself. I shivered and stood back up again. Suddenly, I realized that I could see everything in the dark. Trees, smoke from the fires, and even footprints on the ground.

"That's weird... hobbits can't see that well in the dark or I would have been using my bow all this time. Maybe I just adapted to the darkness or something..." I said aloud quietly. I turned around and I saw the most hideous thing I had ever seen and maybe even will see in my entire life! It was a giant, hairy, eight-legged... spider! I almost screamed but I covered my mouth after I saw it.

"Okay, Fawn... there's n-no need to be f-freaked out. You have a b-b-bow and a qu-quiver full of arrows and you are t-totally c-c-capable of f-fighting this thing off, r-right? Ahem. Right. Let's just kill this thing and be done with it all ready," I told myself. I grabbed my bow very slowly and pulled an arrow from my quiver very silently. I fixed the arrow against my bow and aimed it towards the spider's wet glowing eyes. I took a breath and looked at my target. It was just staring at me.

"Hmm, why didn't it attack me earlier? This is getting really creepy now. Stop talking! Just shoot!" I said to myself. I released the arrow and it went straight through, what I guessed was, the brain. Luckily, it didn't make any sounds. It just fell forwards... towards me! I jumped out of the way and it crashed right in front of me. I smiled at my victory but then I heard something. It sounded like someone was struggling. I ran towards where I heard it and jumped up in a tree to get a better view. I peeked through a gap in the leaves and I saw Bilbo down on the grass fighting a spider. Before I could go help him, he killed it himself and I grinned. I knew he had it in him. Of course, I knew he would have done it anyway because it was in the book. But still... to actually see him find strength in himself to do that? The moment was just amazing. I saw him fall down on the floor and I hurried to him. I figured I shouldn't wake him up; he would probably do that on his own too.

I stayed near him for a while to make sure other spiders didn't come bother him in his sleep. I heard him stir so I went behind a tree in front of him. When he woke up, I went to him and he wiped his sword on the grass. It was stained black with the spider's blood. The spider that he killed was near him and he was startled when he saw me.

"Hello, Fawn. I'm surprised to see you here. I thought everyone had gone away and left me," Bilbo said.

"I thought so too. But it looks like our luck has changed. Why don't we go have a look around. Maybe we will find the dwarves somewhere or even the path," I suggested.

"That sounds like a good idea. I would like to find the road as well. Maybe then we would find them there," he agreed.

"Then let us go with great stealth," I replied. We crept quietly along and the forest remained silent. I started to walk ahead of him and he slipped on his ring. We walked and walked for some time and we noticed a dark patch of shadows that was darker than the rest of the forest. There were spiders up in the trees and they were the ones making the shadows. I hid behind a tree to try to escape their sight but they weren't looking down. So I came back out again and called for Bilbo quietly. He slipped his ring off and popped out of nowhere. I jumped up in fright and tried not to make any noise.

"You're a Junior Protector of Nature, Fawn. Can you understand what they're saying?" he asked.

"Not really... wait," I replied. I pointed upward and smiled while he shook his head in disagreement.

"Come on, Bilbo. Let's go check it out," I whispered. He made a sad face and whimpered.

"I know you have the ring, Bilbo. You can use it to climb... be you just have to be quiet," I said. His face changed to shock and then to suspicion. 

"How do you know about it?" Bilbo asked. 

"There's a lot of things I know about," I replied. "Don't worry... I didn't tell anyone." He sighed with relief and I jumped to the lowest branch. Bilbo convinced me to let him stay on the ground. Then I climbed very silently and kept on going. Every other branch that I climbed, I could hear their voices a little more clearer. I started to move slower so I could try to understand what they were saying.

3 comments:

  1. "'Ahem. Right. Let's just kill this thing and be done with it all ready,' I told myself." Haha, that part made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I knew he had it in him. Of course,[...] But still... to actually see him find strength in himself to do that? The moment was just amazing." LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)