Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Battle and Conquering of the Spiders

Bilbo and I realized that Bombur was still on the floor and more spiders were gathering around him. They had tied him up again and they were almost ready to take him away. I told Bilbo to go and help Bombur and that I would help the rest of the dwarves. He swung Sting at the spiders that were in front of him and they backed away from him. Then, he scrambled and fell down right in the middle of another group of spiders. Everyone was freed and Bilbo had killed six spiders and the rest ran away.

"Come down!" he shouted. "Hurry! Before you get caught again!" 

I looked up and saw lots more spiders above us. I was so scared that I ran down that tree and was on the ground in a jiffy. The dwarves, on the other hand, came three different ways: climbing down as fast as they could, jumping from the branch, or falling down off the branch. In the end, there were eleven dwarves in a pile behind Bilbo and I. They helped each other up and Bombur was standing between Bifur and Bofur. I was constantly sending arrows at spiders and Bilbo was darting here and there with his trusty sword, Sting. Hundreds of spiders were staring at our little party while we were fighting. It seemed that we would most likely lose the fight. But the the dwarves got into the groove and they started to help us defeat the beasts. 

Some dwarves had knives, others had sticks, and most just threw rocks. Only about four could stand upright and firmly. We were getting tired. The spiders just kept on coming and it felt like this battle would never end. Bilbo decided to tell the dwarves about the ring so he could distract the spiders and lead them away. He was a little hesitant at first but there seemed to be no other way.

"I am going to leave you so I will be able to disappear. I'm going to draw them away from you; you must stay together and go in the opposite direction. Hopefully, if you bear left, you will reach the place where the last elf-fire was," he explained.

"I'm coming with you," I added.

"I'm sorry, Fawn. But most of these dwarves are still recovering and I need you to guide them for me. Don't you remember what Gandalf said? He put you in charge of these dwarves for a reason and we are all counting on you to lead them to safety," he said.

"Fine," I sighed. He smiled and he disappeared in front of my eyes. We heard his voice calling out to the spiders from the right: "Attercop!" and "Lazy Lob!" He began his song again and some spiders went towards the voice. Then I led all of the dwarves and we started attacking the spiders that came in our way. We didn't hear Bilbo's voice and we hoped that he hadn't been caught. Our pace slackened and the dwarves became more weary than before. Bilbo appeared from the side and he charged into the spiders that were gaining on us.

"Go on! You can leave the stinging to me!" he cried after us. And that's precisely what he did. We kept on going with no stopping. The spiders gave up following us and went back to their dark homes. Bilbo followed us and we reached the ring where we had been before. I sat down on the ground and yawned.

"That was a lot of excitement for one night," I said sleepily. I laid down and wrapped myself in the blanket that was in my sack. The dwarves asked Bilbo lots of questions about the ring. Balin insisted that Bilbo tell them the story of Gollum with the ring put in where it belonged. I couldn't sleep but I managed to rest my eyes. After they were done asking their questions and Bilbo had finished answering them, they all laid down and rested. Balin muttered in his sleep about the story that Bilbo had told them. 

Suddenly, he sat up with a jerk and said,

"Where's Thorin?"

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, nice cliffhanger! Very good chapter all around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The one after this wasn't my best but I tried :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)