Monday, October 5, 2015

We Camp, Spy on the Front Gate, and I Hear Smaug

We reached the skirts of the Lonely Mountain without meeting any danger. We made a camp by Ravenhill and on it there was an old watch-post that had been abandoned. The dwarves didn't want to climb it for the watch-post was out in the open and didn't want to risk being seen. Thorin sent out Balin, Fili, and Kili to go spy on the Front Gate. Bilbo and I decided to go with them to keep them company. We followed the river and came to a ledge where we saw a burnt valley.

"There lies the old and forgotten city of Dale. When the bells rang in those pleasant days, the mountain sides were full of green trees and the valley was rich," Balin said sadly. His face was filled with remorse and remembered that day when the dragon came. He was one of Thorin's companions on that cursed day. I felt sorry for him; he never should have witnessed that. Then again, nobody should have witnessed that. One creature's actions affected hundreds of others. It was very selfish of Smaug to do this to these poor souls.

"Just wait until I get my hands on that dragon!" I thought. I wanted to march right into that gate. But my thought was disturbed by the croaking of a large, black crow. The dwarves and Bilbo did not want to get close to the gate but that didn't stop me. I walked all the way right up to the gate doors and put my ear against it and listened. The crows kept cawing at me which made me very annoyed and a little cross.

"Would you stop that? You're blowing my cover!" I whispered. They stopped making noise and flew away. I put my ear against the door again and heard a quiet rumbling.

"What is that noise?" I thought. "Maybe it's old Smaug napping," I muttered. I went back to the dwarves and Bilbo.

"What did you hear? Did you see anything? Fawnabelle! Are you listening to me?" Bilbo whispered.

"Why do you want to know Bilbo?" I asked.

"Well, they might send me in there and I want to know what I'm up against. And I have a slight case of curiosity," he explained.

"Oh all right! I suppose it wouldn't hurt. All I heard was a low rumbling and the croaking of crows. I told them to go away so I could hear better. I think the rumbling was Smaug snoring," I explained.

"That's it? You didn't see him? Well then, I guess I'm not getting any answers after all," Bilbo sighed.

"No Bilbo. I guess you're not," I replied. The five of us went back to Thorin and told him what they had seen and done and about how I went to the gate even though they told me not to. But he really didn't care. Nobody cared... so I went about my business and told no one else about what I had heard.

2 comments:

  1. "'Would you stop that? You're blowing my cover!' I whispered." Haha, that was a good idea! I like how Fawnabelle is sort of in on the story and is just helping it along. Now it's hard to imagine how Bilbo and the dwarves could have managed it without her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't! And they probably never will! Just goes to show how valuable I am! LOL :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)