Saturday, October 17, 2015

I Wait in the Dark for Bilbo

The next morning, the dwarves weren't so afraid anymore. Actually, they had the audacity to blame Bilbo for taking the cup and upsetting Smaug! I got upset but slightly more to the angry side.

"What else was he supposed to do?! He couldn't have killed Smaug! No offense, Bilbo," I said.

"No it's true! Fawnabelle is right. I'm not a warrior. I couldn't have killed Smaug even if I wanted to! If there's anyone to complain about something, it should be me! You should have brought five hundred burglars instead of just one if you wanted me to take all of that treasure. It would take hundreds of years to remove all of those riches. And I would have to be fifty times bigger and Smaug would have to be as tame as a rabbit!" Bilbo explained angrily. 

"Begging your pardon, Mister Baggins. What are you suggesting we are to do?" the dwarves asked.

"I have no idea at the moment if you're referring to your treasure. That is going to depend on if we can get rid of the dragon. And that would need an exceedingly amount of luck which we currently do not have. Getting rid of dragons is not in my line at all and I personally do not have any more hope for our success of this journey. Oh, do I solely wish to be safe at home!" Bilbo sighed.

"Never mind the treasure! What are we going to do today?" Thorin asked.

"Well, I suppose the smartest thing to do is stay where we are for the moment. During the day, we can attempt to go out and have some fresh air. Maybe as the time goes, one or two of us could go back to our original stores by the river and replenish our supplies. But everyone should stay inside the tunnel by night. I have my ring and I will offer to go down the tunnel again and see what HE is up to. 'Every worm has its weak spot' as my father used to say. Though I am positive it was not from his personal experience," he whispered. 

The dwarves accepted thankfully and I noticed that they had learned to respect Bilbo. I was glad they didn't treat him like a doorbell anymore. They wouldn't call him to do something and then tell him to leave. He wasn't just following the crowd anymore. Now Bilbo was the leader of the adventure and he began to feel good about himself. He was more confident and less fearful of the unknown. And he didn't let it go to his head either. He started having ideas and back-up plans that he would act upon if something should happen. About midday, he began to get ready to go down the tunnel once again.

"Do you know anything about taming dragons, Fawnabelle?" he asked.

"Um... I don't think so, Bilbo. I've never confronted a dragon before. I wonder if it's the same as a lizard? But I don't think we should take any chances," I answered.

"You're right. Let's go," Bilbo sighed. He knew I would follow so he didn't bother to ask me. I followed him down the tunnel and stopped before the opening came. I was suspicious of Smaug sleeping.

"I'll wait here, Bilbo. I don't like the look of him sleeping like that. Something isn't right. Be careful, Bilbo," I said.

"I will. If anything happens, you go on ahead without me," he whispered. I nodded and he slipped on his ring. I watched carefully in the darkness where I couldn't be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)