Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Bilbo Starts A Conversation with Smaug

I waited for something to happen. Smaug didn't look asleep to me. I was worried about Bilbo. Suddenly, Bilbo was next to me but kept his ring on.

"He's not sleeping! What am I going to do Fawn?" Bilbo whispered.

"Whatever you were supposed to, Bilbo," I whispered back. Bilbo left but then we shrunk down as we heard a deep voice speak.

"Welcome, thief! I know you are here for I feel, smell, and hear your breath. Come and help yourself! There is still plenty to spare," he said. I got very frightened but stayed where I was. I knew Bilbo wouldn't leave so neither would I. Smaug had tried to lure Bilbo in but he didn't win.

"No thank you, O Smaug the Magnificent! I did not come to take your treasure but to have a look at your tremendous self. I did not believe how great the tales said about you,"Bilbo replied.

"Do you believe now?" said Smaug. He sounded somewhat complimented but I was sure he didn't believe it.

"Surely, the stories and poems come to nothing compared to the reality of your dazzling self, Smaug the Chiefest of Calamities," Bilbo answered.

"You are very polite for a liar and a thief. You appear to be familiar with my name, but I don't remember smelling you before. Who are you? And where do you come from, might I ask?" the dragon asked. 

"Yes, you may! I come from under a hill. My paths have led over and under the many hills. Through the air also my path has been made. I am the one who walks unseen," Bilbo riddled.

"I can believe that. But that is not your normal name," Smaug replied.

"I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, and the stinging fly. I was chosen to be the lucky number," Bilbo continued.

"Flattering titles! But they will not get you anywhere," Smaug sneered.

"I am he that buries my friends alive by drowning them, but draws them alive from the water. I came from the end of a bag, although no bag went over me," Bilbo went on.

"That doesn't sound so commendable," the dragon scoffed. I was starting to get uncomfortable. I didn't know where Bilbo was but it wasn't getting out of hand so I stayed put.

"I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am the Ringwinner and the Luck-wearer. I am the Barrel-rider," Bilbo said cheerfully.

"That sounds much better! But don't let your imagining get away from you!" Smaug snickered. He did not understand all of this but, of course, we do! They were all of his, well OUR, adventures.

"What's going to happen now? Smaug can't stay occupied forever!" I thought.

4 comments:

  1. Great chapter! I love this part of the book and I have been looking forward to your spin on it. I have not been disappointed! :)
    I can't wait to read about Fawnabelle's role in The Battle of the Five Armies coming up soon...yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm glad you have been looking forward to my future posts. It will surely encourage me to keep writing on a daily basis! I will add another post as soon as I am able to, I promise :D

      Delete
  2. I'm finally caught up! It takes me back to when I first read the book. And I love the focus on nature, I think it's very in tune with Tolkien's original emphasis for the story. There are so many little details I love (Bilbo mentioned as having sisters, I'd always imagined that when I started reading LOTR, but I'm not sure if it's canon or not) that are just lovely. I'm looking forward to the rest of Fawn's story! Thank you so much for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It makes me happy to know that you're liking it! Hopefully I can post up another one of Fawnabelle's adventures tomorrow : )

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)