Thursday, April 7, 2016

We Explore Smaug's Lair

I stood and watched Bilbo's little light disappear. I walked down to the edge of the tunnel and gazed into Smaug's lair. The giant piles of assorted gold items weren't as impressive as I thought they would be. I thought of what I valued more than gold and missed the most back home. 

"I miss my books. And Bag End. Oh! Food. I miss food. I miss it so much. Hm, I've never felt this hungry for food before. Ha, when I get to eat good food again, I am going to lick my plate clean," I started to laugh. I decided to think of home more often and to get something to eat. I walked back to the dwarves and they gave me some cram. I examined it carefully. It looked like a biscuit and it smelled like... nothing.

"Thank you," I said as I walked away. I took a little bite. I looked back at my meal.

"It doesn't taste so bad. But that's probably because it doesn't taste like anything. Oh well. Food is food so I'm going to eat it. It's better than starving that's for sure," I said to myself. After I ate it, I was glad I had a home to go back to after this adventure. I sat down at the edge at the tunnel in silence. I was thinking about how much had happened to me during this adventure. Then I heard a voice. I listened carefully and stood up.

"Help!" a little voice squeaked. Was that Bilbo? Thoughts raced in and out of my head. I ran back to the dwarves and told them what I had heard. 

"Are you sure you aren't hearing things? You have been acting kind of strange recently," Thorin asked. I crossed my arms and took a torch away from Kili. I lit it with one that they had. Then they blocked my way back to the edge of the tunnel.

"I can't explain why this has been happening to me. And I am certainly not going to waste time trying to figure it out. If you aren't going to help Bilbo then excuse me," I replied. I pushed them out of the way and went down the tunnel. I could hear them lighting more torches and following me. I climbed over the mountains of gold as fast as I could. The dwarves were slowing down to look at the stuff but I pushed onward. I found Bilbo walking our way so I ran to meet him.

"I'm so glad you're alright, Bilbo. What happened?" I asked.

"Something fluttered in my face while I was walking. I think it was a bat. Anyway, I was surprised and a little scared which made me drop my torch. When I saw your lights, I started walking this way," he explained. Soon the dwarves came and Bilbo explained what happened. 

"I am glad you're alright. But is that all, Master Baggins? Nothing more?" Thorin asked.

"Um, yes that's it. But aren't you glad you came to know that I was fine?" Bilbo asked. 

"Yes, well, you still gave us quite a scare so I would appreciate it if you didn't do it again. Now that we're out here I think we should look around for armor and other things," Thorin decided. So we all began to 'marvel' at the wealth of The King Under the Mountain. Bilbo and I quickly got bored. So we sat down on a ledge of stone, watching the dwarves. I, personally, thought everything looked the same. It was all gold. Fili and Kili found some golden magical harps which were still in tune.

"Now that's interesting!" I thought. The rest of the dwarves started filling their pockets with jewels and gems. Whatever they couldn't fit, they put back with a sigh. I kind of felt bad. What if I didn't know I would get my books back? What if someone stole my bookshelf and I didn't know if I would be able to get it back? What if I had to fight something terrible for my bookshelf?

"That would be horrible. I'd be piling my favorite books and taking them with me. Those poor dwarves," I sighed. I sat down while the others kept looking through the hoards of treasure.

2 comments:

  1. "I miss my books. And Bag End. Oh! Food. I miss food. I miss it so much." -THAT IS ME IN REAL LIFE! It's scary how accurate that is, haha XD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)