Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Everything Ends Better With A Warm Hug

"Are you all right, lassie?" someone asked. Wait, who's voice was that?

"Bofur? Wha-what happened?" I answered groggily.

"You just fell to the ground as soon as Bilbo called for a light," Kili interrupted, trying to help Oin and Gloin get a torch lit.

"I asked if you were alright and you mumbled something to yourself the first time. But now you're talking again. Thank goodness. Bilbo probably would have roasted our skins if something happened to you. Are you feeling alright?" Bofur asked. He put his hand to my forehead. I knew my forehead was warm. It had been hot ever since we closed the door.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you," I replied.

"Is anyone there?" I thought. No reply. I gasped and stood up. 

"I can't believe-" I started to yell until the dwarves shushed me. Bofur looked surprised that I had changed so quickly. One minute I was on the floor and the other I was jumping for joy. 

"Finally!" Kili exclaimed quietly. They had gotten a torch lit for Bilbo. Bilbo came and got his torch. He gave me a confused look.

"What happened?" he asked.

"It's nothing. I just-" I started to say. But Bofur interrupted me.

"She collapsed to the ground and she wasn't answering us. She kept mumbling to herself. But when you-" It was my turn to interrupt Bofur this time.

"I wouldn't say 'collapsed'," I emphasized. After a brief silence, Bofur kept talking.

"When you called 'light', she woke up. She was kind of groggy and asked what happened. We told her what we saw and asked if she was alright. She didn't explain fully but she was quiet for a little while. Then she jumped up for no reason and started to exclaim something. I was really surprised about the whole thing." Bilbo didn't say anything.

"Bilbo, I am fine now. I figured out my problem, if you follow me," I said, hinting at my problems with bi-locating. 

"Well, I'm glad you're alright and you solved your problem," he winked. I smiled; I was glad he knew I was okay.

"Now that I can light the way, can I convince anyone to come along with me?" he asked. No one answered.

"Can I go with you?" I asked. Bofur shook his head at Bilbo, indicating that it was a bad idea. Bilbo didn't respond right away.

"Maybe it's better that you stay here, Fawnabelle," he mumbled. He said it loud enough for me to hear and kept his eyes on the floor. I didn't understand. 

"Why can't I go? Just because Bofur suggested I shouldn't? But what did that matter? Bilbo knows I'm just fine so why does that change his decision? Besides, didn't he ask if anyone wanted to go with him?" I thought angrily. I looked down at the ground to try to conceal my sadness and anger. Bilbo saw that I was upset with his decision. So he gave his torch to one of the dwarves and stood in front of me.

"I'm taking a friend's suggestion, Fawnabelle. You must understand?" Bilbo asked nicely.

"But you know that I'm being honest about how I feel, Bilbo. So why can't you?" I asked sadly.

"It's different from my place. I have to show them that I trust their judgment. Don't you agree?" he asked. I sighed; he had a point.

"I suppose," I muttered.

"But I still don't understand why I shouldn't be able to go when you asked if any of them would go with you?" I complained, with frustrated tears ready to burst out. Bilbo hugged me, which was something he hadn't done in a long time. It felt so good to hug someone even if it was awkward that thirteen masculine dwarves were watching us.

"I know you would follow me anywhere, Fawn. I thank you for that. I wanted them to see that Smaug was gone but they are too afraid to trust me. So, if I trusted them, do you think they would trust me back?" he whispered.

"So you only did it to earn their trust?" I whispered back. He nodded.

"Then why couldn't you had explained that earlier, Bilbo? It would've saved a lot of time," I laughed as we pulled apart. He shrugged his shoulders. I never doubted Bilbo's decisions from that moment onward. He took his torch and went back to discover more of the mountain.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, Fawn and Bilbo are such great friends! I love how they have gotten closer over the course of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a heartwarming moment for me... thanks for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. Bilbo is actually quite clever, I'd not thought of it that way before...earning their trust in that way. But it's kind of like he's showing them he's willing to play by their rules, and they can take his commitment seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was pretty surprised myself about how he did that. You're right! It was really clever of him. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)