Monday, April 4, 2016

Many Explanations, Falling Rocks, and A Furious Dragon

"Gandalf?"

"Yes, Fawnabelle?"

"I think I'm transferring again," I said as a bright light appeared.

"Okay, I'll make sure you don't fall off a cliff or anything," he joked.

"Thank you," I laughed. I blinked and Bilbo was right in front of me. His arms were crossed.

"Now could you PLEASE explain to me why on this good earth you told me to do those things?!" he whispered as best he could. The dwarves were sleeping as always and he wanted them to stay that way for the time being.

"Right. Sorry Bilbo. I forgot," I said quietly, trying not to laugh. I was hoping he would forgive me, which I knew he would. He's the kindest hobbit I know. Well, he's the only hobbit I know ever since I befriended him. No one talked to me after that. But Bilbo was lots of good company and I knew I could trust him. He means so much to me.

"It's alright. But please don't do that again. You really worried me," Bilbo explained.

"Oh Bilbo, you're such a worrywart. There was absolutely no need to worry at all about me," I laughed as I put a comforting hand on his shoulder. He patted it and sat me down, ready for a story. I told him all about my dream with the Valar, Galadriel, the flashes, voices, and visions. He was rather excited and surprised after I finished. He asked me a lot of questions about what I could do so far and why I thought I could do them. Once I was done answering, he sat in silent reflection. He stared at the door.

"Would someone please close that?!" he asked nervously. Thorin stirred from his sleep and sat up with a yawn.

"What's going on, Bilbo? In your head, I mean. Why do you want the door closed?" I asked calmly. I had never seen him this troubled before. Usually I don't have to ask because I can tell what he's thinking about. It's a gift.

"I don't like it open. I have a bad feeling about leaving it open. Just close it please!" he begged. Thorin pushed the wedge that kept the door open. He pushed it closed but gasped at the blank wall. There was no keyhole to get back outside. We were locked inside the Mountain.

"It's better to be locked in here than be outside, in my opinion," Bilbo muttered. Little did he know, that he practically saved our lives. Thorin decided that we should go further down the tunnel. Just as we started to make our way down the tunnel when the mountain shook. The walls cracked and rocks started to fall from the ceiling. I, miraculously, didn't start panicking. Or screaming. Although I was doing both of those things on the inside. 

Smaug had flown out of the mountain and to our previous campsite. He smashed his tail against the wall where we had just moved from. His flames burnt the soft little patch of grass to nothing. We didn't know what would happen next but I wasn't curious. 

I could tell that Bilbo felt bad. He knew Smaug had done this. His conversation with Smaug had caused this. Bilbo was trying to conceal his feelings of guilt but I knew him better. He sat in a sad corner all alone. I knelt down in front of him and tried to make him feel better.

"Bilbo, it's not your fault. You can't blame yourself for what happened. I probably would have caused much more trouble," I admitted. He looked up at me.

"Do you really think so? I mean, you can talk to animals. Do you think if you tried to talk to Smaug he would understand?" he asked. A loud snore caused us to look away. I sighed.

"Probably not. I've never talked to a dragon before and I don't really want to try," I squeaked with fear. I couldn't imagine talking to a huge dragon like Bilbo did. Even if it was a good dragon. I shuddered; I never want to confront a dragon. He looked at the ground and continued his silence. I sat down next to him and enjoyed the silence.

"I wonder what he is doing right now," I thought.

"Who?" Gandalf asked. I laughed to myself. How could I forget? I still had another problem to deal with and it wasn't going to be easy to solve.

2 comments:

  1. "I could tell that Bilbo felt bad. He knew Smaug had done this. His conversation with Smaug had caused this. Bilbo was trying to conceal his feelings of guilt but I knew him better. He sat in a sad corner all alone. I knelt down in front of him and tried to make him feel better."

    Aw, poor Bilbo! Fawnabelle (I mean you) is (I mean *are*) so nice to Bilbo.

    Great installment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)