Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Good Tidings From A Raven

"I've got to get out of here!" I exclaimed, jumping out of my hiding place. Smaug dove very close to the ground and as he turned, his belly glittered with the sparkling gems that shone in the moonlight. But a bare patch was made visible so Bard released the arrow. The arrow hit Smaug straight on target. So incredibly strong was that shot that it vanished completely into Smaug. The dragon let out a howl of pain that deafened ears, cut trees, and cracked stone. He soared upward and turned over amidst the clouds. I saw Smaug above me and falling back down to the ground. I heard Bilbo speak to me.

"Fawnabelle?! Can you hear me?" he asked in a muffled voice. I couldn't move and everything turned to slow motion. Smaug was falling even closer above me.

"I've seen enough! Please stop!" I begged fearfully with my eyes shut. I was too scared to look up anymore. I didn't want to see Smaug about to crush me!

"Please stop," I whimpered when light filled the darkness. I opened my eyes and squinted from the faint light. I sighed and saw that Bilbo was looking down at me. I realized I was sitting down. I looked to my left to see the dwarves talking to a raven.

"So much for joy, Thorin Oakenshield. You may go back to your halls in safety; all the treasure is yours -- for the moment. But many are gathering hither beside the birds. The news of the death of the guardian has already gone far and wide, and the legend of the wealth of Thror has not lost in the telling during many years; many are eager for a share of the spoil. Already a host of elves is on the way, and carrion birds are with them hoping for battle and slaughter. By the lake, men murmur that their sorrows are due to the dwarves: for they are homeless and many have died, and Smaug has destroyed their town. They too think to find amends from your treasure, whether you are alive or dead," the raven explained. He continued to speak to the dwarves but Bilbo sat down across from me and stared at me.

"Do I have something on my face?" I asked, half laughing. He laughed too and hugged me tightly.

"Ow," I squeaked. I suddenly became aware that I was hurt. But from what? And where?

"I'm sorry!" said Bilbo, releasing me from his hug.

"It's not you, Bilbo. I'm just a little hurt. But why am I in pain?" I asked, checking to see if I had any injuries.

"I don't know. But are you alright?" Bilbo asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine. I know you don't know, silly," I giggled quietly.

"Oh, well it doesn't look like you have any visible injuries," he replied. I nodded and he went to see what the dwarves had discovered. I felt a sharp pain in my hands. It felt like a knife was piercing through them. I bore the pain silently because I knew Bilbo would freak out and not leave me alone.

"I hope it doesn't get any worse," I thought, rubbing my hands to see if that helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to comment and please keep them respectful :)